Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Making Resolutions, Lists and English Gardens

Lists!  Boy, do we like 'em!  The German Dad loves 'em.  He has lists, post-it notes, bins of Christmas decorations precisely labeled and stacked on neat shelves in the garage.  Which I adore about him, of course, as it makes life ever so easy.

Daughter B got all the German genes.  Besides being the near twin in appearance of her dad, she's a list-maker to the extreme.  Puts her lists on Excel spreadsheets.  Makes notebooks of lists.  Christmas lists?  Color coded.

Daughter A, however, is more like an English Garden.  Stuff here and there.  A tad bit sparse here, a bit overgrown there.  Seeds spilling over.  Utterly charming.  Funny, she even looks like her mama, who is more of an English Garden than her German Listmaker dad.

Guess we got one of each.  But as the German Listmaker Dad and I have been together over 37 years, we've grown alike in many ways, in that I adore lists.  I make them just to cross stuff off I've already done.  Ha, ha, take THAT, vacuuming!  Crossed off and done.  Neener, neener.

Of course, it works both ways, and German Listmaker Dad has become a tad bit sparse here, a bit overgrown there.  And I think him utterly charming in every way.


So in this time of resolutions, I don't mind making a list of them.  There might be a few in there I've already kept last year, just so I can cross it off.  Such as smelling the roses.

2 comments:

  1. At least you make those lists! Mine are getting more and more rudimentary...and mostly for work! Yet I really must smell those roses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is I not only stop to smell the roses, but the carnations, sweet peas, hyacinths or paperwhites. Oops, then I notice there is a weed here or there that needs pulling, then I must plant that packet of seeds someone sent me, then I must...

    Lists keep me on track. Absolutely must have them to go to the grocery store, otherwise I'm liable to buy too much because I'm easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete