Friday, June 15, 2012

Little Slice of Heaven

I remember when I watched my newborns sleep in the bassinet, and their little pouty mouths sucked in their sleep because they were dreaming sweet dreams.  I remember little chubby legs in bubble outfits, sweet wispy curls on the back of their necks, and sending them off to school in uniform and a lunchbox nearly as big as they were.  I watched them in school concerts, I handed them library awards, I videotaped them in horse shows.  In the hot gymnasium, I watched them get their diplomas.

I sent one off to the Army, and fly the flag for her every day.   I tried not to cry as the other walked up the aisle.  It could have been over for me, but it isn't.  I am SURROUNDED by kids, the best teenagers you could ever hope to have.

Last night we went out on the Sea Scout Ship Odyssey.  There were a lot of them as our unit has been getting more and more members lately.  I just like to listen to them, ask them questions and see them smile.

So there we were, on a perfect June evening in Tacoma's Commencement Bay.  Was the moon coming up over Mt. Rainier?  Was the side of the mountain aglow in pink wash from the sunset?  Was Vashon Island the perfect green backdrop for the chugging ferry boat and sailboats puffed along in the breeze?  I don't know.  I wasn't looking at that.  I sat in the cockpit, squeezed in among fellow sailors.  They were laughing and telling stories about their camping trips and what fun we are going to have when we go north next week on our 11 day voyage.  They gently teased me about the veracity of my stories and told me how eager they were to hear "The Upper Berth" and "The Lavender Ghost".  A former Sea Scout, now a college graduate, was out with us last night and it was so rewarding to see the fine accomplished woman she has become.  The breeze on my face, the silken evening, the laughing kids.  It was a slice of heaven.

My favorite quote by John Muir so often comes to me in such happy moments:
"Oh these vast, calm, measureless mountain days
Inciting at once to work and rest.
Days in whose number everything seems equally divine
Opening a thousand windows to show us God."

2 comments:

  1. Heaven indeed. I'm so glad there are people in this world who can perceive how promising today's young people are. This perception is such a far cry from the everday complainy over-information we get daily on how values/work attitudes/violence/apathy are going completely down the drain. Isn't it inspiring to see how there is so much hope in this group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They inspire me and I thrill to see them so full of hope, like you say. I'm glad the kids in Briancon have someone like you to believe in them.

    ReplyDelete