Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Straw Bonnet Fiasco

I love bonnets for my reenacting hobby.  Can't have too many bonnets, a girl might say.  My grandmother  left a box of old clothes to be used for costumes, and in there was a dilapidated straw hat, which still bore some serviceable flowers.  Their life might be extended on a new straw hat, so I purchased a straw bonnet form.

I've torn apart straw hats to turn them into bonnets, so blithely ripped off the front of this form, as I didn't like the front of it.  I prefer the rounded shaped of the 1850's to the later high brim of the 1860's.  The plaits of this bonnet were very narrow and it was taking forever to sew back together, so I decided I simply must do it by machine.

Rats!  The straw plait got caught in the presser feet.  So I know!  Wash away stabilizer.  I checked my supplies, and just happened to have some.  I cut numerous strips and it worked wonderfully.  I then soaked the bonnet form.  How long is this supposed to take?  Isn't it fairly instant?  The stabilizer would NOT wash away, and I had strips of white something-or-other hanging on the inside of the bonnet.  Perhaps it was tear away stabilizer.  No, it was not.  It would not tear.  Period.

Rats!  So I spend the greater part of the morning painstakingly cutting and gently pulling, but still had to resew a great deal of it by hand.

Although the white strips mostly came off, I can still see some and can't get it out.  So I know!  I'll dye the thing black.  I will go perfectly with the flowers I intended to use, and a dark pink bow will be lovely.

I read the directions on the package of Rit dye, even though I've used it before.  I've never done straw before. They said you could use two cups of hot water and sponge it on.  I got on disposable gloves and and apron, read the directions again, and set to work.

Rats! The result was the ugliest mottled straw bonnet I've ever seen.  I rinsed as much dye out as I could.  The left glove had a leak in it and now I've got a black hand.  So I know!  Fabric paint!
So it's off to the craft store to buy some paint.  Hope this works.  Anybody out there ever paint a straw hat?

5 comments:

  1. Last time I painted anything straw it was with spray paint... Krylon to be specific. The miniature bonnets were adorable but not sure I'd want to wear it. :/ The Black Hand is just lovely...sounds like something from a book. The other bonnet like that one that I tore apart and reassembled I soaked it first and then sewed it while wet... I thought it went fairly quick, but maybe my memory is wrong.

    Hope it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soaked the plaits, but they still got caught in the feed dogs. The stabilizer worked great until it was time to take it off. I need an update with the fabric paint I used. I came out PERFECTLY. Now to add the flowers and a tie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Victoria :) Palm straw is particularly difficult to colour. Paint nor spray paint will work, I am afraid. I have tried both. The paint is just absorbed and spray paint will stink and give you a headache. The straw also has stiffener on it which has probably caused the white streaking. My best would be to warm dye the straw. Do it on the stove and let the dye soak from the inside out. Re-shape when wet. Do not boil it...but take it close and add salt to fix the color. Follow the instructions for dying natural fabrics :) Good luck! Jacqueline http://www.jacquelinekolbe.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might see some examples on FB https://www.facebook.com/JacquelineKolbe.Millinery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jacqueline! I had some success, and will post with new pictures. I got a bottle of fabric paint and it worked brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete