Friday, July 5, 2013

Why Don’t We Say Independence Day Anymore?

Most people call our national holiday “The Fourth of July”.  What happened to calling it Independence Day?  Same number of syllables.

Perhaps it reminds us of a war with the country that is now arguably our very best ally.  Independence Day was then, when we hated Britain. The Fourth of July is now, when we just love them.  Odd that the English are always the bad guys or befuddled bumblers in films though.  When are we going to stop THAT?

My husband said people call it The Fourth of July because then we won’t forget when it is. 

As if.  Do we forget when Halloween is? 

Oh wait.  Why is he laughing?

I spend a lot of July 4ths in Canada, serving as a cook aboard the Sea Scout ship Odyssey.  One July 4th some happy Canadians kayaked past us and asked us if we were enjoying our visit.  I mentioned that it was The Fourth of July for us, and they announced it was The Fourth of July for them too.  Really? 
Oh, wait.  Obviously, we meant different things.  Did I mention I was a befuddled bumbling English-American?

The real reason few people use the term Independence Day is that no one can spell it.  Is it Independ-A-nce or Independ-E-nce?


I’m still not sure.  And my spell check is taking a holiday.  Or wait, that's what the Brits say.  Guess I'll have to say "vacation."

No comments:

Post a Comment