Monday, September 9, 2013

Heritage Breeds of Chickens

At our local living history museum, Ft. Nisqually, we have fine ladies who preen and display some of the nicest dresses that needles ever wrought.  We have gents strutting in beaver felt top hats.  We have hordes of adolescents peeping for the fiddler to rosin up her bow.  We’ve got mountain men with tomahawks stuck in their belts.  We’ve got a great garden, and we’ve got chickens.

Seems like most backyards have them too.  Children visitors used to be amazed at cuddling baby chicks and hearing them peep.  Now they question us as to what chicken feed we might use and offer opinions as to what breed they are.  I don’t keep backyard chickens.  Know very little about what to feed them.  I've been told they are speckled Sussex, a heritage breed.

I do know my way around a kitchen though, and was a bit surprised awhile back when I was hustling my cooking gear and dutch oven into the period kitchen.  The chickens aren’t allowed in there and yet one of the hens hiding in the corner.  Most mountain men out here would crow about finding the chicken already handy in the kitchen.  At least, that was what they would tease.  Our chickens are for show only.

“C’mon, sweetie, out you go,” I urged.

The chicken cowered in the corner. 

I swished my long skirts and attempted to herd it out to the door. 

It started getting huffy and settled in.


I tried to pick it up and got pecked.

“C’mon now, you can’t stay here” My hand was pink and there was already a sharp bruise.  I refused to be frightened by a chicken.

The chicken started offering opinions as to which MY heritage.  What breed of chicken was I? 
I was not going to be outdone by a chicken.

“C’mon, you sassy bird,” I ordered.  “Get the cluck out!”  I gently scooped it forward with my foot. 
The chicken stood up, plopped out an egg, and ran off screaming indignities.

Every bird in the coop must have heard about the wretched treatment I meted out.  It may be my imagination, but they all give me the cold shoulder.  And the rooster?  Well, he won’t even give me the time of day.




No comments:

Post a Comment