Friday, November 28, 2014

And how's ol' Whats-His-Name?

My husband gave me a Kindle a year or so ago.  I just love the thing.  I get books from the library and play games on it.  Lately, with age creeping up on little cat feet, I got some of those memory games.  Mom had dementia and couldn’t remember too much, but she was 92.  Not bad, but I figured might as well do the best I can to stave it off for the next 30+ years.


The games really help.  When I first started I could barely score a 14 on one game and now I score a 23.  Not that the score tells you much, but I’m improving.

The Kindle is a great little device to travel with, and since we are down here in Irvine, California this week dividing up our mom’s estate, I brought it along.

I was mighty glad that I’ve been playing those memory games when my brother asked me to go along with him to church.  Mom was one of the founding members of this particular branch, and when we lived here, I was a member.  When we moved to Seattle, I’d attend when down visiting, so I’ve known some of these people since the 1970’s.  There were lots of us who were young moms together, having babies, starting playgroups, sending Christmas cards, and hearing about the families as we went along through life.  Since I am here going through one of life’s passages, it was good to connect and remember old times.


It was great seeing old friends, especially Diane.  We don’t exchange Christmas cards anymore, so I wanted to hear all about her family.  She told me all about her son and daughter, then I got a shock when I asked about her husband.  Foot in mouth time!

“And how’s Steve?” I asked.

“Steve?” she some slightly perplexed.

OMG I thought. She looked so surprised.  Don’t tell me he’s passed away and I didn’t know.  How awkward.

“Steve moved to Texas,” she said.

“What?” I said.  They got a divorce!  I can’t believe it.  They’ve been married as long as I have.  This is shocking.  She seems so calm.  How did I not hear of this?

“Yes, he got remarried!”

“Oh,” I gulped.  “I guess I’m really behind the curve.”

“Yes, he and Carol bought a place there and just love it.  There’s a few others from the church that have moved to Texas too.”

How many others had gotten a divorced and moved to Texas?  What’s in Texas, I wondered.



“Oh yes,” Diane went on, “Steve moved away some time ago.”

I think at that point my brother took my elbow and steered me to the door as all I could do was stammer about being behind the curve and who knew.

“I didn’t realize that you and Steve were such good friends,” Diane called after me.

Really? I thought.  I’ve only known him for over 30 years.

As my brother propelled me out the front door, I was shocked to see none other than Steve himself standing in the bright California sun.  Now I was really messed up.  Was it something I ate?  Was it those new essential oils I’ve been using?  Did I have heat stroke?


“Oh hi Bob,” called my brother to him.

Oh, geez.  Of course, her husband’s name was Bob, not Steve!  How could I?  Thirty years!  That Steve guy she was talking about?  I suddenly remembered him too.

I’m going to go right home and start playing more of those memory games on Kindle.  Now, if I could only remember where I put it…



No comments:

Post a Comment