Thursday, May 17, 2012

I ran out of kids and had to go find more

They left me, the little sweeties.  Never mind that I loved 'em, wiped 'em, sewed for 'em, worried over 'em and went to all their plays, recitals, concerts and horse shows.  They had the audacity to grow up and move on.  Fiddlesticks.  What's a career mom to do?



Find more, that's what.  Didn't take long and I was a card carrying, T-shirt wearing, dues paying member of the Sea Scouts.  
What's even better, when they grow up, there are plenty more coming along.  It is a never ending delightful gush of giggling and self-conscious teens.  They gripe, they scream, they learn, they grow, they come into the galley and tell me all their hopes and fears.  They tell me about their crushes, their mean teachers, their every little problem.  Most of them want to be photographers, screenwriters or marine biologists.  

 

 They are sweet, often lazy, often wearisome and downright lovable.  I make them brownies, cajole them into cleaning up after themselves, and watch as they learn navigation, how to sail, and how to be leaders.







But meanwhile, I get to enjoy their wild rides down life's road.  Thanks kids.  But even better, it was so fun to hear my adult biological daughter say yesterday that she loved to listen to the teenagers at work as they described things that interested them.  She nodded and smiled, delighting in their journeys as much as I delight in hers.

2 comments:

  1. cute pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Cookie! You are a wonderful mentor to these young people. You are going to be one of those people that they talk about to their own children and say, "She really helped me...."

    ReplyDelete