Saturday, October 27, 2012

Making a Steampunk Gun

There aren't a lot of ray guns from the 19th century for sale at Fred Meyer's.  But to complete the wacky costume I'm wearing to a steampunk convention, I needed one.

So it was off to Fred Meyer's anyway.  I bought a cap gun, spray paint, and super glue.  I also visited the camping section and bought a green plastic salt and pepper shaker.

I raided my husband's plumbing drawer in the shop and found a flexible chrome tube that is used behind toilets to the water supply.  Or used to be, I think they are plastic now.  In the kitchen, I found some pie crust weights (little balls), and a tiny funnel, and in the bathroom, I found some bristly toothpicks I don't like.

Thus armed with the requisite ray gun supplies, off to the workshop!  I painted the body of the gun copper, and the barrel silver.  I attached the flexible chrome tube to the side.  The salt and pepper shaker was wrapped in green wire and the toothpicks painted silver and inserted in the holes.

The pie crust weights and funnel were painted silver and glued to the end of the gun.

Husband cut a piece of crown moulding I painted and used for a gun hammer,  The caps from the gun came in cylinders held in a piece of circular plastic.  This little object was painted silver and glued to both ends of the toilet tube.

When all was dry, I had a great little ray gun.

Zombies, BEWARE!





1 comment: